Unfortunately, the situation in Louisiana caused by Hurricane Gustav has not improved. Almost 2 million people are in need of help; the devastation continues to accumulate. Maqsood Ahmad, President of ICNA-Baton Rouge, reports the following:
* Close to 1.9 million people have been evacuated – the largest evacuation in US history.
* 700,000 households have gone without power for the past four days.
* People have had to wait hours to fill their gas tanks.
* Food and milk supplies are extremely low, resulting in families going without food and drink.
Alhamdulillah, the following accomplishments have been made so far:
* 2,500 meals were served in the last 3 days.
* Over 700 families were provided with food, overnight shelter, and medicine.
* Debris covering houses neighboring the masjid has been removed.
*Brand new heavy duty generators have been donated to Masjid Al Rahman and Masjid Al Noor.
However, this is not enough. The people affected in these areas are in urgent of your attention. In order to recover from this devastating weather, the following is needed from unaffected communities:
* Daily Iftar and Suhur for 2,000 to 2,500 daily for up to 7 days ($20,000 to $30,000)
* Help clean the debris in the masajid and the surrounding neighborhoods both for Muslims and non-Muslims. ($1,000 to $5,000)
* Start a free clinic in New Orleans as soon as possible. ($5,000 to $10,000)
* Help families and individuals who are financially incapable to buy basic cleaning kits. ($3,000 to $5,000)
* Provide additional generators to the masajid in areas where power has not been restored. ($5,000 to $10,000)
* Provide the following supplies – gas cans, ice chests, ice, and a few hundred tarps.
The humid, hot weather has made it difficult for 10,000 Muslims to fast in the holy month of Ramadan. No mosques are holding Taraweeh (night) prayers due to the imposed curfew. Let us remember this community in our prayers during the month of Ramadan. Please perform prayers, i.e. Du’a Qunoot for them.
As we open our fasts and attend night prayers, let us remember our brothers and sisters. They need your donation and support. We thank the following communities for opening their masajid, schools and hearts during this time of need:
Islamic Center Of Baton Rouge (Masjid Al-Rahman)
285 East Airport Ave., Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Islamic Center of Baton Rouge(Masjid Al-Noor)
820 West Chimes St., Baton Rouge, LA 70803
5241 Prescott Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70805
700 Tulane Ave., Lafayette, LA 70805
Islamic Society of Lake Charles
610 College Manor Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70607
Islamic Society of Central LA
2232 Worley Dr., Alexandria, LA 71301
Islamic Association of Shreveport
1000 Delhi, Bossier City, LA 71111
2533 W Mcdowell Rd, Jackson, MS 39204
6100 Floral Dr., Jackson, MS 39206
Muslim Association of MS & Al
900 N. Frontage Rd. , Meridian, MS 39301
Special thanks to Masjid An-Noor, 3529 Mynders Avenue, Memphis, TN 38111 for offering support on very short notice.